Darlene D. Smolik, (Dee) has an extensive background that provides the diverse skills and expertise required for successful Historic and New Markets Tax Credit Financing Projects. She brings over 35 years of experience in the areas required to navigate the Tax Credit process and has specialized as a consultant in Historic and New Markets Tax Credit Financing, Project Management and Development since 2002.
Her Business Management experience and project team coordination skills have been developed though experience in Industrial, Governmental, and Nonprofit settings. These experiences have resulted in an array of skills and expertise in Accounting, Finance, Taxes and Consolidation Reporting, Property Development and Property Management were honed from prior experience:
The Public Building Authority of Knoxville and Knox County, TN. – a “quasi” government agency centralizing property development and property management functions for local governments.
- Recruited initially as Controller and subsequently as COO, she and CEO developed a project portfolio including 125-150 capital projects worth over $500 million and individually ranging from under $1 million to over $100 million.
- Teamed with the Knox County School Board and Superintendent to develop and defend a multi-year, $200 million renovation and expansion of school facilities. Defined and defended the need for major deferred maintenance funding of over $90 million for over 85 school properties.
- Actively participated in the Urban Land Institute study for the Knoxville Convention Center, and subsequently participated in selection and negotiation process for the design/construction team.
- Managed local government properties including 1.4 million sq. ft. office and garages worth over $85 million, as well as related grounds and Waterfront Park.
Corning Incorporated (a Fortune 500 Company)
- Controller, Manufacturing and Engineering Division – $100MM annual capital Outlay, $50MM annual engineering services,
- Manager of Operations-Corporate Restructuring – $90 MM write off, $35MM annual margin improvement;
- Manager, International Accounting and Financial Communications – preliminary reviews, several acquisitions, coordination of tax and accounting issues related to European restructuring;
- Various Divisional positions including Manager, Operations Control/Planning for Science Products Division, Supervisor of Operations and Market Research for Science Products Division, Plant Controller-Steuben Division, and Financial Analyst-Technical Products Division.
Public Accounting: Managed audits and related tax filings for several commercial and nonprofit clients as Audit Manager and later, Partner.
Family Farm Equipment business with responsibilities for managing cash, meeting payrolls, controlling inventory.
Education, License/Certification, Honors, and Memberships:
- Bachelor of Science ~ Accounting – Ithaca College – Valedictorian, Summa Cum Laude
- Recipient of Elijah Watt Sells Award (Highest score in nation on the May 1989 uniform CPA examination)
- Licensed CPA in Tennessee (no longer practicing in Public Accounting)
- Certified Public Financial Officer (CPFO)
- Certified Government Financial Manager (CGFM)
- League of Historic American Theatres-Board Member Emeritus, Chairman of Finance Committee and Member of Education Committees
- Member of National Trust for Historic Preservation Forum
- Member of Tennessee Society of Certified Public Accountants and American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Advisory Board Member YWCA
Click on the LHAT icon below for more information about the
League of Historic American Theatres